5 Pasir Panjang Road #08-34
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCEPresident and Founder, eXtropia Pte Ltd., Singapore (05/00 - present)
Associate Director, Barclays Capital, London (02/99 - 05/00)
- At eXtropia, my duties include fund raising, community development and marketing, and technical research and development.
Software Engineering Manager, Electric Eye, Singapore (09/97 - 02/99)
- Developed front-to-back web-based automated foreign exchange (FX) trading system using Java 1.2 Servlets, JDK 1.02 Java clients and existing back office settlement systems. Application involved full life-cycle process from real-time price feeds out to the net to bank-to-bank FX trade settlement and reporting.
- Developed front-to-back web-based automated Gilt and Euro-Government Bonds trading system using Perl/CGI, JDK 1.02 Java clients and existing back office settlement systems.
- Developed Equity Finance Inventory, pricing and Ordering Interface for hedge fund clients. Technology used included Java, JDK 1.02, Perl CGI, Sybase, and existing back-office settlement systems.
- Developed Java-based, real-time chat application and interface for external clients.
- Developed groupware project management, calendaring, and compensation workflow applications using technologies including Perl/CGI, Java, Sybase/SQL, and ASP/COM.
- Managed a team of nine junior and senior web developers.
- Managed and taught semi-monthly bootcamps and weekly seminars on web technology.
Software Engineering Manager, Microline Software, Mountain View, CA (01/97 - 09/97)
- Developed Particle Counting Management and Visualization software using Java to interface to METONE Particle Counters for cleanrooms.
- Developed Java-based air-conditioning system monitoring and control application that includes a dynamic CAD/CAM style floorplan builder.
- Designed and manage Web Site and four person web development team.
Software Engineer, R.O.W. Sciences/National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD. (07/95 - 12/96)
- Developed Java applications based on Advisor/J, Presenter/J, and the Microline Component Toolkit.
- Composed documentation and user tutorials for JDK 1.0x/1.1.x, AFC and IFC releases.
- Developed and managed custom CGI applications for inter and intra networks.
- Trained and managed the web development team.
Online Services Coordinator, Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), Washington D.C. (07/94 - present)
- Trained and managed web development team for the National Center for Human Genome Research.
- Developed SQL gateways and Java/CGI-based software/groupware applications for scientific research projects.
- Administrated NCSA httpd and Netscape Commerce servers.
- Maintained Web security for both inter and intranetworks.
Extropia.com, Maryland (11/95 - present)
- Built and maintained EFF's award-winning On-Line Library and World Wide Web site.
- Prepared policy papers on telecommunications and information technology issues.
- Organized online fund raising and press relations and managed 9 interns.
- Though EFF relocated to San Francisco in July, I have continued working as virtual staff gaining valuable experience with the social, technical, and organizational aspects of the virtual office.
- Designed, customized and provided training for over 20 custom CGI applications for online companies.
- Experienced with Online Shopping Carts, Groupware Calendaring, flatfile and SQL Database Management, Real-time Chat, and Bulletin Board Systems.
- Won several net awards (including NCSA, The Well, AOL, Magellan) and recognition in such magazines as Web Week and /MSGS from the 40s for work with public domain CGI Applications.
- Instant Web Scripts, Edition 2, Oreilly and Assoc., 2000
- Java Programming with Microsoft's AFC, Wiley Press, 1997
- CGI For Commerce, MIS Press, 1997
- Perl 5 How To, WAITE Group Press, 1997
- How To: CGI, WAITE Group Press, 1996
- Instant Web Scripts with CGI/Perl, MIS Press, 1996
- Contributing Editor, ASP Cookbook, Mac Millan Publishing, Feb 2000 release date
- Contributing Consultant for CGI and SSI, Shuwa System Co. Ltd. 1997
- Contributing Editor for The Struggle Magazine
- Contributing Editor for Extropia Magazine
- Monthly columnist for JavaBoutique
- Contributing Editor and Columnist for Web Ware Monthly
- Serialized column "Web Ware" published in The Singapore Straits Times, The Malaysian Star, and Internet.com
Speaking and Teaching
- Training at Schroder Investment Management (23/8/2000)
- Training at Standard Chartered Bank (24/5/2000)
- Training at UOB Asset Management (April 2000)
- McGraw-Hill Osborne Community (10/11/2001)
- iSecurity 2001, KL (17/10/2001)
- SUN's Java Certification Day (2/10/2001)
- Malaysia's TV3 on the programme "Malaysia Hari Ini (Today)" (4/9/2001)
- Banking Technologies Asia 2002, KL (September 2002)
- 2nd E-Security Seminar, KL (4/9/2002)
- Malaysian Open Source Conference & Exhibition 2002, KL (7/8/2002)
- IandI talk on "The Application of Open Source Development & Business Methodologies to Enterprise Projects" (June 2002)
- Developed and currently teach several tutorials for web programming and design located at Web Ware - tutorials cover web programming, web design, Adobe Photoshop, web databases, UNIX, and more.
- Keynote speaker for "The State of Electronic Commerce Today '97" Conference
- Guest speaker at O'Reilley's First Annual Perl Conference '98- presentation entitled "Developing Large Scale Web Applications in Perl"
- Guest speaker at Web Design '98 - full day Perl tutorial
- Guest speaker at Web Design '99 - full day Perl tutorial
- Guest speaker at LINUX WORLD '99- presentation entitled, "Extropia.com: A Case Study in Open Source Software
- Guest speaker at O'Reilley's Third Annual Perl Conference '99 - presentation entitled "The use of Perl in the Financial Community"
- M.A., Science, Technology and Public Policy, 1996
- The George Washington University's Elliott School of International Affairs, Washington, D.C. Specializing in the Management of Information Systems and International Information Technology Policy
- B.A./B.A., Political Theory/Cultural Anthropology, 1994
- University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA Graduated with Latin Honors.
References available on request